The thirty (30), or so, Al-Anon and Alateen meetings (in both English and Spanish) in the Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez Valley areas make-up District 8. District 8 is part of Southern California World Service (SCWS) also know as Area 4.
Please read these notes during your meetings - do not read phone numbers. Please place this where members can get the information after meeting (this will take less than 2 minutes to read).
News for February 2021
- Zoom (IMPORTANT)
- Please do not set up a recurring meeting in Zoom; it does not work.
- Please do not change Zoom settings; if people continue to change Zoom settings, we will have to change our Zoom passwords for everyone.
- If you have a question about our Zoom accounts, please contact Mala - 858-774-2455
- Online Payments
Group Representatives are to ask their groups their thoughts on accepting on-line payments; the topic will be discussed at the February District meeting.
- Al-Anon / AA Convention with Al-Anon Participation
Group Representatives are to ask their groups if they would be interested in serving on committee(s) for an (i) Al-Anon Convention and/or (ii) AA Convention with Al-Anon participation, and if so, which committee(s) they would prefer to serve on. This will help the District evaluate whether there is sufficient support for hosting an Al-Anon Convention going forward (our District hosted our first Al-Anon only convention in 2020).
- Speakers Meeting Announcement
Please consider adding a Speakers Meeting announcement to your meeting format if you do not already make a Speakers Meeting announcement at every meeting (Speakers Meetings are the second Saturday of each month at 7:00 PM, with fellowship starting at 6:30 PM).
- Al-Anon Acronyms
We are considering adding Al-Anon acronyms to the District 8 website and are crowdsourcing a list. Please add any Al-Anon acronyms to the list that you believe should be included.
Open District Service Commitments
- New Technology Services Committee
The district if looking for members to participate in, and a Chair for, the new Technology Services Committee at the district level. If you feel called to this service position or want more information, please contract Larry B., District Representative (LarryDRDd8@gmail.com).
- Alateen Coordinator
Organize events and activities related to the Alateen program. Please contact current coordinator Jim G. - (805) 452-9703.
- Al-Anon Member Involved in Alateen Service (AMIAS)
Seeking AMIAS(s) to host Alateen virtual meetings. Please contact Jim G. to learn about the on-line certification process. Please contact current coordinator Jim G. - (805) 452-9703.
- Public Outreach
Seeking volunteers to help distribute literature to facilities. Please contact Alejandra - (805) 252-2213.
- Speakers Meeting is this Saturday at 7pm (second Saturday of every month); fellowship at 6:30pm.
- Saturday Feb 20 "Heart Talk 2021" free Zoom event from District 10 - AA speaker, Alateen speaker, Al-Anon speaker (see website for more information).
- Saturday Feb 27 "Serenity by the Sea" free 2 hour Zoom event, you have to pre-register to get the Zoom links (see website for more information)
- Please Report Group and Meeting Changes!
(cancellation, move to phone, virtual, or otherwise) please fill out on-line form on our website: https://www.alanonsantabarbara.info/Contact