The thirty (30), or so, Al-Anon and Alateen meetings (in both English and Spanish) in the Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez Valley areas make-up District 8. District 8 is part of Southern California World Service (SCWS) also know as Area 4.
"Take Back to Meeting" for February 2024
- Beginner's Meeting
With several meeting leaders having stepped down, this meeting will temporarily be reduced to the second and fourth Tuesdays of the month. Marie continues to encourage members to become leaders for the 1st and 3rd meeting of the month. Please contact Marie at (805) 699-5531 if you are interested in these service positions. Please make changes to your groups Meeting format/script to reflect this change.
- District Workshop
The District would like to hold a workshop for Al-Anon members and would like group input on possible subjects. Your GR will bring your suggestions to the March District meeting.
- Participate in the Al-Anon District 8 Website Redesign Task Force
By group conscience, the District approved the formation of a Task Force to facilitate a redesign and migration of the District 8 Website. The District is looking for members to be of service in this capacity. The commitment is expected to be about one year with monthly meetings. If you feel called to this service opportunity, please contact Scott N. at Webmaster@AlAnonSantaBarbara.info. The adopted proposal can be found on the District's web site.
- Beginning July 2024, the District's PO Box will no longer be available as a Current Mailing Address (CMA) for groups. Groups needing to change their CMA can decide whether the CMA should be the GR's personal mailing address, another group service member's personal address (i.e., Secretary), or secure a group PO Box at the group's expense. Please contact Alejandra if you have any questions.
- The District's Zoom coordinators reminds all groups and group hosts that the District's zoom rooms are assets of the District and groups do not have the autonomy to make changes to the zoom settings, including passwords and pictures. Hosts are reminded to "Sign/Log Out" of the account after ending the zoom call. Logging out is done by going up the SB 1, 2 or 3 in upper right corner. This leaves the zoom room available and other hosts to log into their next meetings
- If you are a member who holds a service position within the District and would like your personal phone number currently shown on the meeting directory changed to a google phone number (to maintain anonymity), please contact Mala once you have made that change. If you would like a google email instead of or in addition to a phone number, please contact Scott N. at Webmaster@AlAnonSantaBarbara.info.
- Newcomer packets are available in both English and Spanish. Please contact Jeanne if your group needs to purchase these packets.
District Opportunities and Open District Service Positions:
Public Outreach Coordinator - Help to carry the message of hope through local media and to professionals within our community. Please contact Alejandra if you are interested or have any questions.
Al-Anon Info Line Coordinator - Debra M. has answered the info line calls for some time and would like to pass the service on to someone new
District Website Coordinator - The D8 Website Coordinator position will be available no later than January 2025. This position is responsible for updating pages on the District 8 Website, adding and removing pages as requested by trusted servants acting on behalf of the District. For a complete description of duties, please review the District Service Commitment Descriptions page. Please contact Scott N. at Webmaster@AlAnonSantaBarbara.info, if you feel called to this position or would like to discuss.
- April 26, 2024, 2:00 p.m. - April 28, 2024, 12:00 noon. 47 Annual Southern California AFG Convention. Convention flyer.
Website Change Requests
Website updates can take 7 to 14 days to implement, so please provide at least 7 to 14 day lead time on meeting change requests.